A Change of Season
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
On Sunday, October 19th, the elders of exchange church shared with the church that, after much prayer, consideration, and consulting with outside veteran pastors, the time has come to shut the church down. Sunday, Oct. 26th would be our last Sunday together.
There are two main areas for this decision (in no particular order).
- Finances. At the State of the Church meeting January 2014 the elders shared that our basic expenses are more than what is coming in, and that if that didn’t change then tough decisions would need to be made. Over the course of the year the finances have continued to decline and we reached a decision point.
- Over the past months, both Jordan and Corby, quite independently of each other, came to the conclusion that their respective times at the church were coming to an end. Not out of any kind of hurt or division, but simply the Lord saying that its time to move on, this season in their lives is over. With the lead pastor, and an elder / worship leader departing, we reached a decision point.
It seems pretty clear that the Lord is wrapping things up at exchange church. This isn’t a defeat. It isn’t a loss. “To everything there is season.” If the Lord is saying that the season is coming to a close, it would be disobedient to try to make the thing keep going.
The Lord has used the church in every life in the church. The elders believe that everyone in the church has the potential to be an important part of wherever they end up. “Everything is preparation for something else.” (Chuck Smith) There have been years of preparation. It’s time for something else.
We will be using the church Facebook page as the primary means of mass communication during this transition. Any urgent news will go out as a mass text as well as being posted on Facebook. The church Facebook page will be shutdown sometime in November.
We thank you all. We love you all. If you have an specific questions please contact Corby directly.
May God continue to bless,
Corby and Jordan
PS. If you’d like to keep up with Corby and any resources he may produce in the future, here are the links.
- thebluethread.org. Corby’s complete teaching library going back to the late 1990s, along with other speakers Corby has worked with. Also linked are podcasts to which you can subscribe.
- facebook.com/corbystephens A “public figure” page with posts and links to various goodness.
- twitter.com/corbystephens Twitter. ‘nough said.
- corbystephens.com Corby’s primary blog which will include links to everything else.